Saturday, February 5, 2011

Caldo de Res: My Father Makes the Best!

February 5, 2011
The weekend is here, and the snow has stopped…the temperature is rising…and pretty soon, sunny days are just around the corner J But until then, I’ve been finding warmth in the comfort of a comfy blanket…hot Abuelita chocolate…and even in chunky, hot soup. This particular soup, which is my all time favorite, is called Caldo de Res. And it is the inspiration for this blog.

My father makes the best Caldo de Res! Yes, I know, I’m biased. But so far, I haven’t come across a soup so hearty with large chunks of vegetables, and meat so tender it melts in your mouth. It’s so amazingly beautiful too…picture perfect…unfortunately, this girl didn’t take a picture of it…I finished eating it before I thought of taking one *chuckle* J I’ve had this soup at restaurants or made by others, but they always lack the variety of vegetables I’m accustomed to, the meat is hard and rubbery to chew, and the chunks are better described as small cubed bits.

The ingredients that make up this good for the soul soup include: medium to large red potatoes or regular potatoes, palm-sized corn on the cob pieces, thick carrots, celery, cabbage, yellow squash, green squash (Summer or Mexican squash), tomatoes, hand-sized bones rimmed with thick chunks of meat (it’s called cariso/carriso/carizo?...very unsure of the name of the meat in Spanish...and in English! I’ll find out later). And last but not least, the chayote. Green chili, lime and corn tortillas compliment the soup well.

Just like chicken soup is good for the soul, I’d like to say that Caldo de Res is good for the Mexican soul J The soup is easy to make. The ingredients sound normal, nothing exotic. But time and time again, I’ve been asked “what is a chayote?” Apparently this gourd is a mystery to many. On to my next blog J

No comments:

Post a Comment