Thursday, February 3, 2011

When Hell Paso Freezes Over…

It is February 3, 2011, and it’s colder than a walk in freezer! The weather has been as low as 2 degrees Fahrenheit. My grandpa, who watches the news constantly, said that these are the lowest temperatures reported since the 80’s. Since I’m not a fan of watching the news, I haven’t bothered to double check the resources. All I know is, it’s cold! Brrr.

Unfortunately, I don’t care too much for the news. It’s ignorance, I know. And no, I don’t believe it’s bliss. I’m just the kind of person that takes everything to heart. The majority of the news is sad or bad, or boring with statistics about the economy and recession that’s going on, or isn’t. They say one thing...and then another. Life is already hard to live…why do we need to hear bad reports on a daily basis? I’m definitely not the Go To Girl when it comes to finding out about the latest news, but I do find out. For example, I found out on Tuesday that it was going to snow on Wednesday J

In El Paso, Texas we do get at least a couple of days of snow almost every year - maybe it is every year. It doesn’t really snow like you may imagine in Lake Tahoe or Alaska. We get these little flurries. And when it sticks to the ground and actually stays – not melt right away – then we’ve got snow! It’s the same thing with rain…if it sprinkles more than 5 minutes – then Lord behold, we’ve got rain! I wish this was an exaggeration. It’s not.

Well, the difference is that while we may have had snow in the past…the temperatures have never been this low. It snowed for one day, but it’s been at least 2 days that we are dealing with “extreme” temperatures. The whole city has gone crazy! And I love it! This is definitely El Paso J

An example of some El Paso craziness: My sisters haven’t gone to school for the past 2 days…they’ve closed down the schools, and even the community college and university. I found out that they aren’t going to school tomorrow either! A lot of government buildings have closed down….but I hear they are going to be back open tomorrow. There are warnings all over Twitter, Facebook and such to stay home if you don’t need to be outside. Lots of main roads were closed yesterday, but some opened today. El Paso was definitely not built to endure some hazardous weather conditions. We are experiencing rolling black outs! The last time I remember experiencing rolling blackouts was 10 years ago when I was living in California! And if the electricity isn’t going out in various parts of the city, then it’s the water not working. I’ve read (on Twitter) about pipes bursting all over the city too. So, see, I do read the news…sometimes J

I told someone earlier, it’s like we are experiencing a micro chaos! But honestly, now that I think about it, I’d rather hear about this kind of chaos versus drug related crimes and deaths, and unnecessary killings from Juarez, Mexico that seep into our everyday lives in El Paso, Texas. If it’s not one type of chaos…it’s another!

Since I’ve written my blogs, the power has turned off and on twice already. Aaahhh El Paso…what a crazy city you are…and me for loving every minute of it! Be safe everyone! And stay warm! Please take care of the elderly and the children. After Hell has freezed over, and life returns to normal, our memories of this weeks’ frosty days will be the colds and flues that are bound to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment